Enquire Online CloseFeedback
The Trade Marks Act of 2009 governs and deals with the mechanism of registration of trademarks in Bangladesh.
A Trademark registered could be any name, color, logo, symbol or sound that uniquely identifies the source of the goods and services. In Bangladesh, the Trademarks protected can be categorized as follows:
1. CONVENTIONAL TRADEMARKS including word mark, device mark, series mark and certification mark.
2. NON-CONVENTIONAL TRADEMARKS including color mark and shape mark.
In Bangladesh, the 9th edition of Nice Classification is accepted by the Trademark office.
The examination report is usually issued within 6-12 months approximately.
Once the trademark is registered, it is valid for a period of 7 years from the date of application.
The date of application is considered as the effective date of registration for a Trademark.
The following information and documents are required to file the Trademark application in Bangladesh:
1. The applicant’s name and address.
2. A copy of the trademark to be registered consisting of its logo, class and details of goods and services.
3. Power of attorney.
In Bangladesh, a signed and sealed power of attorney would suffice.
The POA must be submitted within 1 month of filing the Trademark application.
The time period to file a notice of opposition is 2 months from the date of publication of the Trademark in the official gazette.
Trademark protection is available for 7 years from the date of application, renewable every 10 years on payment of the required fee.
The documents required at the time of filing the renewal of Trademark application are as follows: Power of attorney Copy of registration certification Copy of last renewal certificate if applicable.
The documents required are as follows:
1. CHANGE OF NAME: Certified copy of extract from the Registrar of Companies with required translation Power of Attorney
2. CHANGE OF ADDRESS: Certified copy of extract from the Registrar of Companies with required translation Power of Attorney
3. ASSIGNMENT: Deed of Assignment Power of Attorney
4. MERGER: Deed of Merger Power of Attorney
The non-use cancellation period of a Trademark is for 5 years from the date of application.
Trademark registration is a lengthy process and it takes around 12-18 months approximately to obtain registration.